Let us consider these two advertisements:
- Dave Grohl selling Dodge trucks with a cut from his new album, driving along with his long hair flying out the window with the Foo Fighters rocking the soundtrack.
- Bob Dylan selling Victoria Secrets with his music and black cowboy hat. Victoria Secrets releasing a CD compilation of Dylan love songs available only in the stores. (I bought it at thrift store for a quarter.)
Let us ask questions of these ad campaigns and the rockers:
- Will the ad play on a big screen at Foo Fighters concerts?
- Does Dave drive a Dodge Ram truck?
- Did Bob sell out? Did Dave sell out? Is there such thing as selling out in rock? Was there ever?
- What is rock and roll anymore? Didn’t it to use be about rebelling?
- Is Bob rebelling by associating with Victoria Secrets?
- What were they paid for these ads?
- Did the ads move product?
- Remember the era when rockers refused to have their music used in ads?